Friday, August 17, 2012

Are you still on the couch??.......Get Up, It's Necessary!!!

I read on the Black Girls Run (BGR!) website that 80% (4 out of 5) African American women are overweight in this country.  This number is outrageous to me, and down right embarrassing.  I even asked myself, if I was one of the four women contributing to this epidemic?  Well, if I go by the BMI (Body Mass Index) chart, at the height of 5'4", then I am 1 lb away from being considered overweight, 30 lbs from being obese and 88 lbs from severe obesity.  Whew!!!! I am not a contributor!!!!  I am cleared by a huge 1 lb... Please!!   I am not happy about that.  I am one cheeseburger away from being in the 4, however, I refuse to allow that to happen!!!!!

So ask yourself, 
Where do I fall into those statistics? Am I one of the four?
Do I love my body image when I look in the mirror?
Am I breathing heavily after walking up just two flights of stairs or maybe just one?
If you answered yes to ANY of the these questions, then what are you going to do about it???

It has not been an easy road.  Before I started this journey of taking back control of my body, I was a procrastinator when it came to getting fit.  Even when I looked in the mirror and saw the love handles rising and the back fat forming, I still wasn't motivated.  It took a wake up call on the scale, and determination not to weigh more than my fiance for me to realize that I had to take action.  There have been good weeks and bad weeks.  I have fallen off the wagon a couple of times.  And although I have kept running at least three times a week, in the last two weeks, I haven't done any cross training.  It may be due to the fact that I am now back in school full-time with 5 classes who all seem to give at least two chapters of homework a week and keep in mind I still have to go to work....LOL!  See how easily I get sidetracked? But I believe there is still at least a couple of down hours in the day to put my health first.  And I'm proud that I still make sure I get my weekly runs in.  Honestly, if I miss a run, I feel guilty!  I feel like I'm cheating or something.  Is that crazy?

The journey has not only been physical, but the mental toll is plentiful.  I have met a lot of women, and had to realize that sometimes people may not have your best interests at heart.  And when my body was becoming stronger, my mind was becoming weaker for some reason.  I had been pushed out of my character to a person I did not recognize, doing and saying reckless things and hurting people in the process.  However, after a deep conversation with a wonderful LEADER, I have let those demons go (DELETED) and am now back on the path to mental healing and peace.  DO NOT allow others to deter you from your goals or take you out of your character.  Bad Association Spoils Useful Habits!!  It's just the truth!  Being strong mentally induces your chances of succeeding physically!  Get supporters around you and you will succeed!!!!

OK, now getting back to the issue at hand.  If you are one of the 4 women contributors, or you are teetering the lines of obesity, you owe it to yourself and your body to take action!!! I think most women are in denial.  We just won't admit that we are fat.  We will even go as far as to say that we have big bones so losing weight won't look right, which is crazy!!! No, you have big fat, sorry!!!  Some women will also lie to themselves by saying they are "fat and happy".  No one is fat and happy!!!   If that were true, then why are you always talking about dieting or exercising?? 

I know we all have busy lives.  We all work every day, have families to take care of, housework, school, errands etc... We even use all these as excuses not to get in shape.  But let me ask you this?  How many hours do you spend watching reality TV, playing games on Facebook and following people on twitter????  Is missing one hour of women fighting on TV not worth saving your life? I think it is!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Obesity is an illness and it must be treated.  The only ways to treat this nasty illness, that has invaded our culture, is with exercise and drastically changing your eating habits.  Your first step was joining a BGR! group...... YAY!  Now mentally tell yourself that you are worth it and that you deserve to be fit.  Get out of your procrastination zone like I did and go out to meet your fellow BGR! members in your city.  You will not regret it.  It's nothing scary about it, unless you slip up and go to an UNOFFICIAL Run... LOL!!  
No one will laugh at you!  No one will make you feel unwanted! No one will force you to do more than you are capable of doing! No one will leave you behind! It's actually the total opposite....                     
Yes, everyone will welcome you! Yes, everyone will encourage you!  Yes, someone will walk or run with you the entire time! and Yes, you can do it!!!! Once you go out the first time, you most definitely will want go back.  You will soon realize that everyone wants you to be successful in all your fitness goals.  I just ask that you don't quit!!!  Because, yes, it gets tough.  And there will be days that your body aches so bad that you won't be able to walk properly, but I now welcome these days with open arms.  I say, that's just my body telling me that I'm doing something great! You will get stronger and stronger! 

I am now on my 9th week of running and I feel empowered.  I have officially finished the c25k  program... YAY!!  We have a graduation 5k run for all c25k graduates on August 25th and I think, well I know I am ready.  Matter fact, a day after I wrote my last blog, I got out on the green-way and ran four miles straight without stopping.  And prior to that, I wasn't even able to run a full two miles.  However, with encouragement from my sisters, I pushed through it and persevered.  And I believe that you can do it to, but you must take the first step.  

Actions speak louder than words!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment