Friday, August 31, 2012

Motivational Ups & Downs

What's motivating me to run and get fit?

Hmm, a million things come to mind when I think of the word motivation, but when it comes to running and getting fit, there are only a couple for me.  I'm not motivated because I love running, nor do I love to exercise. I mean who really loves being in temporary pain and overexerted? Not me, and I think I'm not alone in this.

I'm motivated because I love the results!

I'm starting to like the way I look in the mirror naked, and the way I'm fitting back into my smaller clothing.  I'm motivated by not having to go out and buy an entirely new wardrobe wasting money.  I'm also motivated by not failing!  I'm not the failing type!  I usually excel in everything that I try, so why let exercising stop me?

But I do have my motivational ups & downs.  I know what I need to do to reach my fitness goals, but sometimes I'm just lazy or allow other responsibilities to deter me.  When I decided almost 12 weeks ago that I was tired of getting even more and more out of shape and gaining more and more weight, I got up off the couch!  However, there were numerous weeks, within that 12 weeks, that I just didn't feel like exercising.  And although I still run at least 3 times a week, and that's a struggle, I haven't been to the gym to cross train in almost two weeks.  And it's not because it's a far drive from my house, nor is it because I'm injured.  It's just because I have times where my motivation for getting fit just isn't strong enough.  It's a mental struggle for me every day between the "fat girl" and "skinny girl", and sometimes the "skinny girl" just loses.  Granted, I have never been considered fat or overweight, with my biggest clothing size ever only being a size 6, but in my own mind there is a fat girl or at least the potential to be one.  And those two women are always at war!  But like you, I must decide which one makes the most sense?  Which one is stronger?  Which one has my best interest at heart?  Heck, which one looks the best!!!

So this week I had to get re-motivated.  I had to ignore my "fat girl" mentality and start listening to the "skinny girl" more often.  So, I started off by revamping my music playlist with only upbeat inspirational music to keep me pressing on longer during runs.  I had to tell my fiance to take his crappy lunch snacks (twinkies, snickers, pringles, oreos, etc... ) and put them in his man room...LOL!  I started putting on my workout clothes as soon as I get off work because they say that you are 90% more likely to go workout if you already have on your workout clothes!  And I had to refocus and remember that I always finish what I start!!!

I know all this doesn't seem like a lot, but it's enough to get me motivated!  It's enough to keep me on track! And it's enough to to kill the "fat girl"!!!!!!!!!!!!

So when you want to quit, when you want to eat a twinkie, and when you want to give up, just reach back out and grab your motivation!




No comments:

Post a Comment